Friday, July 20, 2012

Assis Brasil July 2012


Some of our English students in Assis Brasil, July 2012.  The staff

consisted of experienced teachers (Licia, Dayne, Gail and myself), first time teachers Mary Jane Wann (a dietitian) and Jinsil (a Korean and a former ELC student and TSOL trained ) and volunteers Jul (a former ELC Brazilian student) and Carrie (a recent DTS graduate).  The English school ran from July 3 - 20 with three classes and a total of 15 students.  We taught three pastors and at least five MISPA missionaries.  We were on a MISPA base (Missao Priscila E Aquila) who aid local churches to share the gospel.  
    MISPA is a missionary agency linked to the Renewed Presbyterian Church.  Born in 1975, with the desire to reach the Brazilian people for Christ, the work has grown and it is now present in 4 countries, 6 indigenous groups in Brazil, and is implanting approximately 35 fields in Brazil with partnerships.  This base looked like this.
 Its mission statement is.
The purpose of MISPA is "to awake, train,send, and support missionaries in Brazil and in the rest of the world, and by that, spreading the gospel to all nations, supporting the church in the command that Jesus left us".
One of the buildings on the grounds is for 24/7 prayer.  There are private rooms inside for each continent and Brazil itself.



Very anointed and special place. 
Pastor Claudio Cezar Soares and family leads the base.
Its always a blessing to teach pastors and missionaries English and God's truths using The Purpose Driven Life.  God truly touches the hearts of the students and they tell us so.
One student sent us a text message when we returned home and this is it.

"I need tell you one thing: You are a the mirror for me! When I look to you and Gail I see the God's love and care. And in this time that I've been with you I really learned much more than english.. I remember seeing Gail worshiping all the time and this inspired me! In my life (i believe) I just have two "certainties": I love God and I born for worship him. But I never seen so much love for God, so much devotion and desire for worship him. I really love you and Gail.. And I want remember you every day and inspire me for worshiping God truly. With all I am and all I 'have'. I won one mentor.. And one worship lider! I hope have you always near... Your life is a gift to me! Thank you for everything (again).. Love you (again)

Ps.: I hope know your family one day!! After all is my family too.. hahahaha"

We don't see Jesus turning water into wine on every mission trip but the people are looking for transparent people who they can see Jesus living inside of.  We don't have to be talented or gifted for God to use us, just let others see how our lives have been given to the Master and how He lives in us.

Here is a picture of my class which consisted of a woman Baptist pastoria, three MISPA missionaries and the young lady who wrote the text message above.
 Each of my class members:
Liliana - a Chillian MISPA missionary,

  
Rejanne - a MISPA missionary.
 Talita - a MISPA missionary.
 Pastoria Silaine - a Baptist pastor.
Carol - our music and praise leader.
Everyone was stretched during the praise and preaching times at the base.  Once the American staff led most of it and once it was all student led.  If people aren't pressed into action, who they really are does not come out.  Carol shined as praise leader. I preached once there and Gail was on the praise team.  The other time it was all student led.  God was God each time.  I even found myself dancing (?) with the kids once.  What was that about?
Licia shared her heart about how God had called her to begin English schools in foreign countries even though her pronunciation wasn't "perfect".  She shared about her and Forest's call to the Middle East.  Her dedication to spread the gospel is contagious.   
  
Douglas with daughter would show up for most lunches and dinners to be with sweet Ana Lu.
We preached at the churches of Pastoria Silaine Aguiar  and Pastor Sigmar Guidolim.


Gail's one week early birthday party.
God developed special bonds with the students and with us including the cutest couple ever, Hellen and Rodrigo.
 We took one outing to a fishing place.  Catch them and throw them back.
As you can see by the way Mary Jane and Gail are dressed, we stayed cold (sometimes very cold) for most of our time there.

Graduation time is always special and it was no different here. 




These few pictures do not do justice to show the love between students and staff.  This was Mary Jane's first teaching mission trip and she became "Grand Ma" to so many.  God has melted our hearts together.

These trips introduce us to people that we minister to on a daily basis through Face Book.

Every day just outside the fence, these guys would walk by.


No comments: